Voting is now underway via the National Thoroughbred Racing Association (NTRA) website, www.ntra.com, for the 16th annual NTRA Moment of the Year. Fans can choose from among 10 of the year’s most memorable, moving and significant events in Thoroughbred racing. The winning moment will be revealed the morning of January 16 at the annual ThoroFan Awards Breakfast at Gulfstream Park Racing & Casino in Hallandale Beach, Fla., and recognized at the following evening’s 44th Annual Eclipse Awards, also at Gulfstream Park.
Those that vote for the eventual winner automatically will be entered in a random drawing to win a $100 gift certificate for Breeders’ Cup merchandise.
To vote for the “NTRA Moment of the Year,” visit ntra.formstack.com/forms/ntra_moment_of_the_year.
The eligible moments were selected to illustrate a wide range of human emotions and achievements as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism. Listed chronologically, the events that fans can choose from are:
• Seven-year-old gelding Game On Dude wins the $750,000 Santa Anita Handicap by 1¾ lengths, becoming the first three-time winner. (occurred March 8)
• With his victory aboard We Miss Artie in the Spiral Stakes at Turfway Park, Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez becomes the first North American rider to surpass $300 million in career earnings. (March 22)
• California Chrome wins the 140th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in front of a crowd of 164,906, second-largest in Derby history. (May 3)
• California Chrome’s quest to become racing’s first Triple Crown winner in 36 years falls short. (June 7)
• Trainer Jimmy Jerkens saddles the top two finishers in the $1 million Travers, with V.E. Day besting stablemate Wicked Strong in the Mid-Summer Derby at Saratoga Race Course. (August 23)
• Two-time defending Horse of the Year Wise Dan returns to win the Grade II Bernard Baruch at Saratoga Race Course with John Velazquez up. (August 30)
• Track announcer Tom Durkin calls the final race of his illustrious 43-year career at Saratoga Race Course. (August 31)
• Two-time Horse of the Year Cigar dies at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital from complications following surgery for severe osteoarthritis in his neck. (October 7)
• Jockey Rosie Napravnik announces her retirement and pregnancy live on NBC Sports after winning the $2 million Longines Breeders’ Cup Distaff aboard Untapable. (October 31)
• Bayern survives a tense inquiry into bumping at the start to win a controversial running of the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic. (November 1)
Fans 18 years and older can register to vote online at www.ntra.com. There is a limit of one vote per valid e-mail address. Multiple votes from the same e-mail address will be disqualified. Votes must be received by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Friday, January 2, 2014.
Tags: Bob Baffert, Breeders' Cup, California Chrome, Churchill Downs, Cigar, Eclipse Awards, Game on Dude, Gulfstream Park Racing & Casino, Jimmy Jerkens, John Velazquez, Kentucky Derby, Moment of the Year, National Thoroughbred Racing Association, NTRA, Rosie Napravnik, Saratoga Race Course, thoroughbred, Tom Durkin, Triple Crown, Turfway Park